SOS provides a child protection service to young people who frequent the inner city and St Kilda areas and engage in high-risk activities. The service operates from 4 pm to 1 am, seven days a week. See Streetwork Outreach Service – service description.
All SOS staff are protective interveners with authority to act under the provisions of the CYFA when a young person is in need of protection.
Divisional and after-hours practitioners can use SOS to act as a point of contact between young people and mainstream support services.
SOS practitioners may be able to support child protection practitioners in other ways by:
- assisting divisional practitioners to assess the risks that might affect young people who have not had contact with child protection for some time
- acting as the young person’s allocated practitioner
- intervening if immediate action is required
- recommending case management and case planning strategies
- attending planning meetings to assist in establishing and implementing plans for the young person.
Divisional or after-hours practitioner tasks
- If seeking assistance from SOS – provide identifying information about the client in CRIS and via direct contact, including:
- physical description (recent photograph if available)
- risk issues and behaviour patterns
- associations and issues
- issues of engagement
- risk of sexual exploitation
- possible locations
- recommended approaches to engagement and intervention
- known triggers to escalation of risk
- summary history
- legal status, active warrants and recommended action.
- Ensure SOS is regularly updated on high-risk young people and case plans by inviting SOS to planning and high-risk panel meetings and the provision of written summaries and assessments.
- Ensure the essential information categories are up to date with all known information in the ‘child identity’ and ‘child characteristics’ categories.
- Ensure there is an up to date and endorsed risk assessment available to support SOS understanding the risks and child’s lived experience.
- Provide ongoing supervision and consultation.
Team manager tasks
- Endorse risk assessments.