Warrants do not expire and police are obliged to execute a current warrant. Cancelling warrants and/or missing persons reports promptly avoids unnecessary intervention in a child’s and family’s life.
Case practitioner tasks
- Email a request to the Records Services Division, Victoria to cancel the warrant or missing person report, when the child has been located or the risk addressed. See Police contacts
- Complete CRIS requirements including court screens and record of activity, decisions and rationales.
- Provide ongoing supervision and consultation.
- Oversee the warrant process until the warrant is executed or withdrawn.
Team manager tasks
- Provide ongoing consultation and endorse decision to withdraw warrant.
- Review the warrant list at least monthly and ensure all unnecessary warrants are cancelled.