This procedure relates to case management tasks and responsibilities in relation to a child or young person subject to a protection order.
A protection order as defined in s. 275 of the CYFA is:
- an order requiring a person to give an undertaking
- a family preservation order
- a family reunification order order
- a care by Secretary order
- a long-term care order.
Case practitioner tasks
- Update the essential information categories and evidence based factors as information and evidence is received to undertake ongoing assessment of the risks, needs and development of the child.
- Complete a review risk assessment as required – see Reviewing the risk assessment for information on when to undertake a review risk assessment.
- Consider previous risk assessments and what has changed to increase or decrease protection and safety for the child.
- Consider if changes are sufficient and to a level that decreases harm consequence and probability of harm.
- Prepare and enact a case plan in accordance with legal requirements, the provisions of the protection order and the child’s needs.
- Ensure a cultural plan is provided to Aboriginal children in care.
- Plan and manage contact arrangements for the child and family in accordance with the protection order and case plan.
- Have contact with the child, parents and other family in accordance with the case plan and client contact statement.
- Facilitate referrals and engagement with service providers in accordance with the case plan and any specified in court ordered conditions.
- Maintain regular contact with professionals and community support organisations involved with the family and seek feedback about the family’s progress.
- Undertake placement related actions if a placement change is required.
- Ensure there is a care team and participate as a care team member for each child in care.
- Maintain client records.
- Arrange specialist child and family assessments, including medical assessments, in accordance with the protection order and case plan. Obtain divisional delegate approval to finance necessary appointments and assessments.
- Consult your supervisor on further court applications when required and complete court process.
- Register and follow-up any new familial and non-familial allegations in discussion with your team manager. Update the essential information categories and review the risk assessment, submit to your team manager for endorsement.
- Consult your supervisor at key decision points.
- Provide ongoing support and consultation to the case practitioner.
Team manager/Case planner tasks
- Endorse review risk assessments, case plans and key decisions, including all court applications.
- Review the case plan at appropriate intervals.